venerdì 12 novembre 2010

Ellis Island


§ Questo post non c'entra NIENTE con le miniature, non c'entra niente con Genova ma ha molto a che fare con i viaggi.

§ This post has NOTHING to do with minis, nothing to with Genoa but it has much to do with trips.

§ Oggi parlando con un'amica ho avuto un'idea che mi ha portato fino ad Ellis Island.
Tutti noi sappiamo quanti Italiani ( circa 5 milioni !!!) hanno cercato fortuna, o anche solo una vita più decente, negli USA e penso che quasi tutte le famiglie annoverino almeno un membro che si è imbarcato su una nave della speranza.

§ Today talking with a friend I had an idea which brought me straight to Ellis Island.
We all know how many Italians ( nearly 5 millions!!!) have looked for luck, or even only a more decent life, in the USA and I think the most families have at least one member who embarked on a hope ship.


§ Il mio bisnonno era uno di questi e la sua nave era la Konig Albert partita da Genova.

§ My great grandfather was one of them and his ship was the Konig Albert leaving from Genoa.

§ Partì dall'Italia a 24 anni per arrivare ad Ellis Island il 27 Settembre 1911.
E' passato quasi un secolo ma ha il sapore di una fiaba, un mito troppo lontano da noi per pensare che sia successo davvero.
Ed invece successe per lui così come per tante altre persone.
Affrontò un viaggio lungo, faticoso solo per avere un'opportunità che non pensava di avere nella sua terra natia.

§ He left Italy at 24 to arrive to Ellis Island the 27th September 1911.
Nearly one century has elapssed but it has a fairy tale flavour, a mith too far from us to think that it really happened.
And yet it did for him as well as for many other people.
He faced a long, tiring trip only to have an opportunity which he didn't think he had in his own home land.


§ Si è sottoposto alla procedura di sbarco con l'interrogatorio di pragmatica e posso solo immaginare il timore di essere rimandato indietro.

§ He underwent the disembarketion procedure with the pragmatic questioning and I can only imagine the fear of being sent back.

§ E alla fine toccò il suolo Americano ma non restò a New York, raggiunse dei cugini in California.

§ At last he touched the American ground but he didn't stay in New York, he reached some cousins in California.

§ La storia non finisce qui :o))
Pochi anni dopo Narciso, questo era il suo nome, tornò in Italia e si sposò con Maria Teresa.
Per fortuna ?!,per caso ?! sicuramente era il suo destino, scoppiò la Grande Guerra e non tornò mai più indietro.
Narciso e Teresa ebbero 11 figlioli, una era la mia nonna Rosalba così chiamata per festeggiare l'alba rosata di un nuovo mondo dopo la fine della I^ Guerra Mondiale.
E io sono proprio contenta che sia andata così.

§ The tale doesn't end here :o))
A few years later Narciso, this was his name, came back to Italy and married Maria Teresa.
Luck ?! chance ?! surely it was his destiny, the Great War blew up and he didn't go back any more.
Narciso and Teresa had 11 children, one was my granny Rosalba called so to celebrate the rosy dawn of a new world ater the end of WW1.
And I'm very happy that it ended like that.


§ Questa è Ellis Island oggi; un museo per ricordare i milioni di persone che sono passate attraverso i suoi saloni. Nel sito del museo ho trovato il registro con il nome e i dati riguardanti il bisnonno e mi sono commossa.
Cerchiamo di ricordarci quanta parte di noi, come popolo, ha dovuto lasciare tutto quello che aveva solo per inseguire un sogno.
E cerchiamo di comprendere coloro che ora fanno il viaggio inverso.

§ This is Ellis Island now; a museum to remember the millions of people who went through its corridors. In the museum website I have found the register with my great granddad name and data and I was touched.
We should try to remember how much part of us, as people, left all they had only to follow a dream.
And we should try to comprehend those who are now doing the reverse trip.


12 commenti:

Norma Bennett ha detto...

What a wonderful story Rosanna, thank you so much for sharing it with us. I enjoy family history research too, our ancestors' stories are part of our story too. The hardships they faced are sometimes so great it's hard to believe and I think it can make us stronger to appreciate their struggles and their bravery. Your great grandfather is a great example of a man having the courage to take a risk and follow a dream. You must be proud of him, as he would be proud of you :)

Roberta ha detto...

Anche io ho uno zio che andò in cerca di fortuna in America, per la precisione in Canada, e ammetto che queste persone ebbero davvero un grande coraggio...
Un bacio e divertiti a Parigi, sono con te con il cuore.
<roby

ღ M@ddy ღ ha detto...

24 anni...
...e oggi i più sono "bamboccioni"...

Rosanna, se volevi commuovermi, stasera con questa rievocazione ci sei riuscita al 150% !

Felice weekend, cara *

Maddy

Glenda/MidSouth ha detto...

Enjoyed reading this post - thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your weekend.

Flora ha detto...

:-)
Immagino tu abbia visto e amato "Nuovo mondo" di Crialese...
Questa storia è raccontata con tono poetico, anche se amaro...
Grazie per avere raccontato la storia del tuo bisnonno: fa riflettere, anche se quelli erano altri tempi e l'attualità appare, chissà perchè, molto meno commovente...
A volte mi sembra di vivere in tempi in cui i disvalori superano di gran lunga tutto il resto!
Anche i sogni della gente, oggi, mi appaiono opachi e tristi...
Comunque, grazie: per fotuna alcuni riescono ancora ad emozionarsi almeno con i ricordi :-)

Jill ha detto...

I loved this post Rosanna. I imagine that most of us here in California (unless we're Native American) have ancestors with an immigration story. I'm fortunate to have access to family history and journals, which has really helped me feel more connected to my family's origins, and their immigration stories. The sacrifices they made were beyond anything that I could have endured. It had to be that spirit of hope that kept them going. That, and an adventurous heart. I love that your great grandfather followed his heart.

Although, we might be neighbors had he stayed. :)

Hugs,
Jill

miniacollection ha detto...

What a great story!
I enjoyed reading your post a lot. I have always been interested in Ellis Island. I haven't watched videos on the net. If one day I go to New York I would like to go to Ellis Island. Why this fascination ? I don't know, noone in my family went through Ellis Island.
Thank you for your post and the beautiful story.
Geneviève

Catherine ha detto...

It is a wonderful story Rosanna. I enjoyed reading it very much too.

Sans! ha detto...

Rosanna, whatever/whoever inspired you to write this story, kiss it/her/him a thousand times :). I have thoroughly enjoyed the story of your migrant great grandfather. I don't know who mine is and maybe I should start my own genealogical adventure soon :). I wonder if I have any Indian blood somewhere along the line. My dad is quite dark, so is my little niece , Qesha :):):).

Most of us in Singapore have migrants in our ancestry, whether they are from China or India or Europe, even Malaysia :). I completely understand why your GG Narcisco did what he did but I myself find it impossible to leave my family.

Linda Carswell ha detto...

Like the others Rosanna, I enjoyed you article...so very interesting and it certainly make us all stop and think!

One week today and we come and find you in Paris....'warning' wear something warm!!!!

Linda x

Debbie ha detto...

Thank you for sharing your families story with us Rosanna. xxx

Catherine / Mooghiscath ha detto...

merci pour cette histoire du passé , j'aime lorsque les gens racontent l'histoire de leurs ancêtres !